Terms of reference
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Aga Khan Foundation Canada (AKFC) is an international development organization and registered charity. AKFC partners with communities, businesses, and governments to find innovative, lasting solutions to global challenges. Working in Africa and Asia, we invest in local institutions and systems that anchor progress over the long term. In Canada, AKFC mobilizes funding and expertise, and promotes awareness of global issues. AKFC is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network, one of the world’s most comprehensive development organizations. Since 1980, AKFC has helped millions of women and men to unlock their own potential to build a better life.
The Public Engagement and Resource Mobilization (PERM) team at AKFC is a multi-faceted and dynamic team. It is made up of highly motivated professionals, whose responsibilities include: the development and execution of public engagement initiatives; the mobilization of financial resources from Canadian individuals and corporations; the management of corporate communications; collaboration with the AKDN and its agencies; volunteer engagement; and the stewarding of relationships with government partners and other institutions.
The Administrative Assistant provides administrative support to the Public Engagement and Resource Mobilization department, including organizing logistics for travel, meetings, and team events as well as facilitating internal processes such as procurement, contracting, and purchase orders. The incumbent is a focal point for information and is responsible to ensure administrative and organizational efficiency within the department. The incumbent is expected to be proactive and have the ability to forecast the administrative needs of the department.
This full-time position reports to AKFC’s Senior Manager of Strategic Initiatives. The incumbent should be available to work occasional evenings and weekends as required.
The starting salary range for this position is between $42,000 and $47,000 per year.
- Act as the focal point between the finance department and the teams, taking responsibility for purchase order/invoice management, expense claims, administrative budgets, and other finance-related tasks
- Support logistics for internal and external meetings and events, both virtual and in-person.
- Act as the focal point for contract preparation and management, ensuring that proper procedures and templates are followed and that all supporting documentation is provided.
- Administrative support for the volunteer engagement program
- Respond to public inquiries
- Other administrative support as required
Qualifications & Experience
- Post-secondary education from an accredited college or university is required.
- One to three years’ experience in an administrative position.
Essential Skills & Attributes
- Proven competence with standard technical and computer tools commonly used in office applications, including the Microsoft Office suite and the Internet.
- Ability to work under pressure, manage competing priorities from a number of sources, and apply negotiation skills.
- Proven administrative, time management, and organizational skills with the ability to apply great attention to detail, prioritize work and apply judgment to situations.
- Able to work independently supporting a team of individuals to achieve results.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- The ability to maintain strong and respectful personal relationships with all internal and external stakeholders
- Proficiency in French will be considered an asset
- Dynamic, collaborative, and able to face challenges with patience, perseverance, and flexibility.
- Capacity to work independently or with others, take initiative, set priorities, and manage a variety of activities simultaneously.
- Enthusiastic to learn from others and share knowledge.
- Demonstrated intercultural competence and ability to adapt professional skills to fit local conditions and constraints.
Thank you for your interest. Please note that this position is only open to those who are legally able to work in Canada.
AKFC is committed to advancing gender equality and inclusion through our programming and operations in Canada and overseas. AKFC requires all employees and consultants to review and abide by the AKFC Gender Equality Policy.
AKFC recognizes the importance of safeguarding and is committed to ensuring it manages a wide range of risks such that beneficiaries, staff, other associates, and the organization are kept safe from harm. All employees and consultants must respect the AKF Code of Conduct and Safeguarding Policy.
AKFC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.