Duration: 9 months
Host Agency: University of Central Asia (UCA), Kyrgyzstan
Aga Khan Foundation Canada (AKFC) is an international development organization and registered charity. AKFC partners with communities, businesses, and governments to find innovative, lasting solutions to promote inclusive development. Working in Africa and Asia, the Foundation invests in local institutions and systems that anchor progress over the long term. In Canada, AKFC mobilizes funding and expertise, and promotes awareness of global issues. In all of our work, advancing gender equality, inclusion, and pluralism are key objectives and approaches. AKFC is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network, one of the world’s most comprehensive development organizations. Since 1980, AKFC has helped millions of women and men to unlock their own potential to build a better life. Learn more at akfc.ca.
The University of Central Asia (UCA) is a secular, private, not-for, profit university founded in 2000 by the Governments of Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan. It is one of the world’s few regional, fully residential, internationally chartered universities devoting considerable resources to mountain-based research. UCA’s mission is to bring the power of education and human ingenuity to the challenges and potentials of mountain communities in Central Asia. Through innovative and relevant research, it is providing access and resources to a growing diversity of learners, and enabling a new generation of graduates to address the needs of the region and drive socio-economic development, while preserving and promoting the rich cultural heritage of Central Asia. Learn more at www.ucentralasia.org.
The Communications and Social Media Officer is responsible for writing content for UCA’s news publications and social media. The officer’s primary responsibility will be to manage internal and external communications across all public affairs functions. This includes strengthening UCA’s online presence, exposure, and social media brand; managing website content and internal workflow processes; developing communications pieces, monthly newsletter content, periodic brochures and annual reports; and coordinating digital marketing and promotional strategies.
The Communications and Social Media Officer will be a key member of UCA’s Advancement and Public Affairs (APA) team and will also work to support the capacity development of staff by sharing resources and providing recommendations for how to improve website content and other publications.
This position is a virtual consultancy providing remote support to UCA’s office in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. The consultant will report to the director of APA.
Writing & Communications
- Plan, develop, write, edit, produce and manage social media activity
- Post and manage website content (English, Russian) and coordinate timely updates
- Format and disseminate UCA newsletters, press releases, job vacancies, public lecture announcements, student recruitment material, and e-blasts on the Mailchimp server
- Write and coordinate communications for UCA events, success stories, brochures, publications, and editorials
Brand Development & Partnerships
- Share posts with relevant stakeholders on social media
- Liaise with global staff from Aga Khan Development Network agencies to promote UCA’s activities, success stories, and achievements
- Collect programmatic updates from UCA staff, research institutes, schools, and campus locations
- Coordinate with UCA partners on collaborative projects
- Coordinate and implement digital marketing and promotional efforts through a variety of platforms including e-newsletters, announcements, advertising and social media campaigns.
Management & Capacity Building
- Monitor relevant news media across Central Asian English-based media sites and social media channels, and compile data for management reports
- Develop PowerPoint presentation decks for senior staff, government meetings, and key stakeholders
- Assist with coordination and management for media representatives and journalists during high profile events and media visits
- Conduct ongoing research on university websites, fundraising tools, social media integration and trends, and provide suggestions for improvement
- Develop and supervise UCA staff workshops, including faculty onboarding and presentations on APA policies and expectations
- Assist with the management of department resources, media interviews, and intern supervision
- Ensure website is operating properly, maintain website archive, and collect statistics
Required Qualifications & Experience
We are looking for a candidate who has:
- Post-secondary degree and at least three years of experience in communications, media or journalism, preferably in a University setting
- Working knowledge of Central Asian digital media outlets
- Demonstrated ability to produce compelling original work for newsletter, web, and social media content
- Experience working in international organizations and NGOs
- Experience integrating gender equality and using gender-sensitive communications
- Familiarity with Central Asian secondary and post-secondary education landscape an asset
- Fluency in oral and written English; ability to read and speak Russian an asset
Essential Skills & Attributes
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse individuals and stakeholders
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong judgment and ability to maintain confidential information
- Ability to gather and analyze data for management reports
- Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills, and ability to produce content in a rapidly changing environment.
- Strong story-telling ability and flair for creative writing
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply by clicking the link below.
Deadline: September 15, 2020 by 11:59pm EDT
Please note that due to the nature of funding for this position, the placement is only open to Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AKFC is committed to advancing gender equality and inclusion through our programming and operations in Canada and overseas. AKFC requires all employees to review and abide by the AKFC Gender Equality Policy.
AKFC recognizes the importance of safeguarding and is committed to ensuring it manages a wide range of risks such that beneficiaries, staff, other associates and the organization as a whole are kept safe from harm.
AKFC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.