Aga Khan Foundation Canada (AKFC) is an international development organization and registered charity. AKFC partners with communities, businesses, and governments to find innovative, lasting solutions to global challenges. Working in Africa and Asia, we invest in local institutions and systems that anchor progress over the long term. In Canada, AKFC mobilizes funding and expertise, and promotes awareness of global issues. AKFC is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network, one of the world’s most comprehensive development organizations. Since 1980, AKFC has helped millions of women and men unlock their own potential to build a better life. Learn more at akfc.ca
Join us to create smart, beautiful content and campaigns that support our mission to build better futures across Africa and Asia. As a member of AKFC’s content team, you will produce high-quality communications across a range of formats and platforms. Your work will support our fundraising initiatives, promote Canadian engagement with global issues, and contribute to our thought leadership in Canada and internationally.
The content team anchors AKFC’s external communications and brand management, distilling the organization’s complex objectives into communications strategies and compelling content. Responsible for producing and disseminating content through a number of digital channels, the content team is also involved in developing exhibits, workshops, presentations, and Canada’s largest public event raising funds for global development.
The content coordinator plays a key role in developing marketing and communications materials for AKFC’s year-round fundraising activities – both digital and in person. The coordinator also supports broader public engagement initiatives. All of this work is underpinned by a commitment to measurement, analysis, and iterative improvement.
Supporting across the content team, the coordinator will:
- Draft, edit, and/or proofread a range of content to engage and educate audiences, such as articles, e-blasts, speeches, social posts, slide decks, brochures, briefs, media releases, and photo galleries. This responsibility will include:
- Creating and updating marketing and promotional materials for fundraising campaigns, including World Partnership Walk and World Partnership Golf; and
- Developing content for AKFC’s monthly newsletter, working in close collaboration with AKFC’s digital specialists.
- Gather stories and information about the impact of our work in Canada and overseas, including interviewing volunteers, fundraisers, program staff, field colleagues, and others;
- Organize and maintain a library of multimedia assets from Canadian and overseas programming;
- Coordinate with volunteers across Canada, including serving as the staff focal point for marketing and communications volunteers during the World Partnership Walk campaign;
- Collaborate with external creative service providers, such as photographers and designers; and
- Participate in the monitoring and measurement of the impact/performance of content.
Qualifications & Skills
We are looking for a candidate who has:
- Post-secondary education in communications, journalism, or marketing and at least one year of related work experience (or three to five years of related work experience);
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills, with experience in fundraising and donor communications;
- Experience developing content optimized for digital marketing and communications (emails, sponsored social, etc.);
- A keen sense of storytelling and how to use stories as the foundation for compelling content;
- Attention to detail and high standards for the accuracy, quality, and aesthetics of communications materials;
- Demonstrated capacity to respect and safeguard vulnerable populations;
- The ability to effectively and nimbly manage multiple projects at a time;
- A drive to learn, problem-solve, and troubleshoot both independently and collaboratively; and
- Availability for occasional evening and weekend work during busy campaign periods or other events.
An ideal candidate may also have:
- An interest in international development and global issues;
- Experience working with and managing volunteers;
- Familiarity with:
- Social media management tools, such as Falcon.io and HeyOrca
- Email marketing platforms, such as MailChimp
- Website content management systems, such as WordPress and Joomla
- Expertise in digital asset management;
- Experience with Google Analytics and social media analytics;
- Graphic design or video editing skills;
- Capacity to write and proofread in French; and
- Ability to travel within Canada and internationally.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and two examples of relevant work in any medium (such as an article, video, newsletter, social media content, etc.) by e-mail to: [email protected]
Subject line: Content Coordinator
Deadline for submissions: EXTENDED March 27, 2020
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Please note that applicants must be eligible to work in Canada.
AKFC is committed to advancing gender equality and inclusion through our programming and operations in Canada and overseas. AKFC requires all employees to review and abide by the AKFC Gender Equality Policy.
AKFC recognizes the importance of safeguarding and is committed to ensuring it manages a wide range of risks such that beneficiaries, staff, other associates, and the organization as a whole are kept safe from harm.
AKFC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.