Duration: 9 months
Host Agency: University of Central Asia (UCA), Afghanistan
Aga Khan Foundation Canada (AKFC) is an international development organization and registered charity. AKFC partners with communities, businesses, and governments to find innovative, lasting solutions to promote inclusive development. Working in Africa and Asia, the Foundation invests in local institutions and systems that anchor progress over the long term. In Canada, AKFC mobilizes funding and expertise, and promotes awareness of global issues. In all of our work, advancing gender equality, inclusion and pluralism are key objectives and approaches. AKFC is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network, one of the world’s most comprehensive development organizations. Since 1980, AKFC has helped millions of women and men to unlock their own potential to build a better life. Learn more at akfc.ca.
The University of Central Asia (UCA) was founded in 2000 by the governments of Kazakhstan, the Kyrgyz Republic, and Tajikistan, and His Highness the Aga Khan to foster the economic and social development of Central Asia, especially its vast mountain regions. The International Treaty and Charter establishing this secular and private University was signed by the Presidents of Kazakhstan, the Kyrgyz Republic and Tajikistan, ratified by the respective parliaments, and registered with the United Nations.
School of Professional and Continuing Education (SPCE) is an integral part of UCA and complies with UCA’s policies and procedures. Being part of a university is a key component of quality assurance. In Afghanistan, SPCE operates as an autonomous unit under the wing of the Aga Khan Foundation Afghanistan. It is the torchbearer of the university’s engagement with the broader society, meeting immediate needs to improve livelihoods, employment and educational mobility by engaging a wide-ranging spectrum of learners in quality training and education.
Learn more at ucentralasia.org.
The English Language Curriculum Development Expert is responsible for building the capacity of the University of Central Asia’s (UCA) School of Professional and Continuing Education (SPCE) to provide high-quality online instruction in English as a foreign language. The consultant’s primary responsibility will be to provide professional development to SPCE English instructors and develop online teaching
The English Language Curriculum Development Expert will work closely with SPCE English Instructors to enhance pedagogical skills and improve online teaching practices.
This position is a virtual consultancy providing remote support to UCA’s office in Faizabad, Afghanistan. The consultant will report to the Head of SPCE for Afghanistan.
- Identify SPCE English Instructors’ needs and develop foundational mentoring tools and protocols to accelerate teachers online teaching practice and students’ learning
- Develop an ongoing schedule to assess training needs of English instructors
- Create online teaching and training strategies, initiatives and materials, ensuring the use of gender sensitive language and images
- Review English Instructors’ performance and learning, providing feedback for improvement
- Identify and resolve current teaching and learning pedagogical issues and educate instructors on coping strategies for the future
- Teach 2 groups of synchronous High-level English language classes as model examples of quality online lessons for instructors to observe and learn from
- Share experience with English instructors and assist them with various pedagogical and English language content trainings
- Report Instructors’ performance and progress to the Head of SPCE for Afghanistan
Required Qualifications & Experience
We are looking for a candidate who has:
- Bachelor’s degree in Education with a specialization in English or equivalent
- Extensive experience in the development and delivery of online training materials in written, video, and webinar formats
- Familiarity with best practices in online education and onsite education; prior experience working with online faculty and students preferred
- Familiarity and prior experience with educational technologies, such as Learning Management Systems (LMS)
- Knowledge of gender sensitive pedagogy and communications
- Fluency in oral and written English
Essential Skills & Attributes
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills
- Friendly, respectful and patient
- Strong work ethic and leadership skills to model best practices to SPCE instructors
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to keep track of deadlines
- Ability to teach online complex systems
- Proficiency in ESL online teaching and learning, and relevant software tools such as Google Docs, screen-sharing, and PowerPoint
- Reliable, mature, and responsible, especially as it relates to training and mentoring
- Proactive and willing to bring new and modern initiatives to the programs
- Excellent computer skills, especially with virtual learning platforms
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply by clicking the link below.
Deadline: September 15, 2020 by 11:59pm EDT
Please note that due to the nature of funding for this position, the placement is only open to Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AKFC is committed to advancing gender equality and inclusion through our programming and operations in Canada and overseas. AKFC requires all employees to review and abide by the AKFC Gender Equality Policy.
AKFC recognizes the importance of safeguarding and is committed to ensuring it manages a wide range of risks such that beneficiaries, staff, other associates and the organization as a whole are kept safe from harm.
AKFC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.