Duration: 9 months
Host Agency: Aga Khan Health Services, Tajikistan
Aga Khan Foundation Canada (AKFC) is an international development organization and registered charity. AKFC partners with communities, businesses, and governments to find innovative, lasting solutions to promote inclusive development. Working in Africa and Asia, the Foundation invests in local institutions and systems that anchor progress over the long term. In Canada, AKFC mobilizes funding and expertise, and promotes awareness of global issues. In all of our work, advancing gender equality, inclusion and pluralism are key objectives and approaches. AKFC is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network, one of the world’s most comprehensive development organizations. Since 1980, AKFC has helped millions of women and men to unlock their own potential to build a better life. Learn more at akfc.ca.
About AKHS Tajikistan
Aga Khan Health Services (AKHS) Tajikistan has been working since 2001 and is committed to establishing a sustainable Community Based Health Care Delivery System in collaboration with the Government to improve the quality and health status of the people. AKHS is working with many projects and programs to achieve it mission and goal.
AKHS works with other agencies such as AKF, Donors and Government to provide accessible affordable and quality care to the catchment population and adjacent areas.
The Gender Sensitive Health Research Officer is responsible for developing gender sensitive quantitative and qualitative research tools to incorporate gender equality frameworks into existing community health projects. The officer will also work to develop and carry out the implementation of a research in health program aimed at enhancing Aga Khan Health Services’ (AKHS) ability to deliver evidence-based approaches to existing and expanded programs.
The Gender Sensitive Health Research Officer will be an integral member of the Monitoring and Evaluation department, and will also work closely with AKHS’ community health program team.
This position is a virtual consultancy providing remote support to AKHS’ office in Khorog, Tajikistan. The consultant will report to the Monitoring and Evaluation manager.
- Build capacity of AKHS’ staff on knowledge of gender equality, gender analysis, and gender sensitive research methods
- Analyze quantitative and qualitative field data
- Plan and draft research reports
- Assist in developing and reviewing AKHS’ research and communication strategy
- Recommend methods and systems for improving ongoing health research, incorporating gender analysis into MERL activities, and integrating gender into programs
- Draft concept notes and proposals for grants
- Support AKHS staff in report writing
- Develop strategies for improving external communication with donors and MoH
Required Qualifications & Experience
We are looking for a candidate who has:
- Post-secondary degree in social science or journalism; Masters degrees and degrees in Anthropology preferred
- 1-2 years’ experience in health and gender related research
- Previous experience in international development
- Knowledge of community health programming and gender integration
- Knowledge of gender sensitive quantitative and qualitative research methods
- Knowledge of gender analysis and gender equality in development programming
- Experience in strategic evaluation and data analysis
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Fluency in oral and written English; ability to read and speak Russian or Persian an asset
Essential Skills & Attributes
- Excellent planning, organization, and time management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Personable, open minded, and team oriented
- Reliable and results-oriented
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply by clicking the link below.
Deadline: September 15, 2020 by 11:59pm EDT
Please note that due to the nature of funding for this position, the placement is only open to Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AKFC is committed to advancing gender equality and inclusion through our programming and operations in Canada and overseas. AKFC requires all employees to review and abide by the AKFC Gender Equality Policy.
AKFC recognizes the importance of safeguarding and is committed to ensuring it manages a wide range of risks such that beneficiaries, staff, other associates and the organization as a whole are kept safe from harm.
AKFC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.