Duration: 6 months
Host Agency: Aga Khan University, Pakistan
Aga Khan Foundation Canada (AKFC) is an international development organization and registered charity. AKFC partners with communities, businesses, and governments to find innovative, lasting solutions to promote inclusive development. Working in Africa and Asia, the Foundation invests in local institutions and systems that anchor progress over the long term. In Canada, AKFC mobilizes funding and expertise, and promotes awareness of global issues. In all of our work, advancing gender equality, inclusion and pluralism are key objectives and approaches. AKFC is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network, one of the world’s most comprehensive development organizations. Since 1980, AKFC has helped millions of women and men to unlock their own potential to build a better life. Learn more at akfc.ca.
Aga Khan University is a unique hybrid: an institution of academic excellence that is also an agent for social development. A leading source of medical, nursing and teacher education, research and public service in the developing world, the University prepares men and women to lead change in their societies and to thrive in the global economy.
Guided by the principles of impact, quality, relevance and access, the University has campuses and programmes in Pakistan, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Afghanistan and the United Kingdomm. It operates teaching hospitals in Karachi and Nairobi, Schools of Nursing and Midwifery, Medical Colleges, Institutes for Educational Development, the Institute for the Study of Muslim Civilisations, the Graduate School of Media and Communications, the East Africa Institute and the Institute for Human Development. Learn more at aku.edu.
The Online and Blended Learning consultant is responsible for developing the capacity of faculty members and academic support staff at AKU in the area of online assessment and virtual or blended learning. The consultant’s primary responsibility will be to ensure the quality of academic assessments conducted during and after the lockdown phase of the pandemic.
The Online and Blended Learning will work closely with AKU faculty and staff members to enhance the university’s ability to deliver high-quality learning while on-campus teaching is suspended due to the global pandemic.
This position is a virtual consultancy providing remote support to AKU’s office in Karachi, Pakistan. The consultant will report to the Associate Director of Blended and Digital Learning.
- Design, plan, facilitate and evaluate faculty development workshops
- Support the development of services for online and authentic assessment
- Assist faculty members in reviewing and revising assessment strategies for blended and online teaching contexts
- Support academic entities in curriculum review and renewal, including gender-sensitive review, design competency and outcome-based assessments
- Incorporate innovative technologies and integrate gender into the curricula of new programs
- Review relevant policies and frameworks; propose relevant changes
- Develop necessary guidelines for online and blended assessment
- Mentor faculty and Teaching and Learning network staff to provide on-going support for online assessment after March 21
Required Qualifications & Experience
We are looking for a candidate who has:
- Master’s degree in online learning or instructional design
- Experience offering professional educational development for higher education faculty, especially in online settings
- Experience implementing online assessments in higher education
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of online assessment (both theory and practice) as evidence through publications
- Expertise in the use of Moodle
- Experience working in challenging contexts (e.g. low bandwidth, ESL/EFL etc.)
- Knowledge of gender sensitive curricula design and use of gender sensitive communications
- Written and oral fluency in English
Essential Skills & Attributes
- Ability to work with people from a variety of cultural, linguistic, and professional contexts
- Ability to work across time zones
- Ability to work in a collaborative team
- Proactive, outcome-oriented, and able to work independently
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply by clicking the link below.
Deadline: September 15, 2020 by 11:59pm EDT
Please note that due to the nature of funding for this position, the placement is only open to Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AKFC is committed to advancing gender equality and inclusion through our programming and operations in Canada and overseas. AKFC requires all employees to review and abide by the AKFC Gender Equality Policy.
AKFC recognizes the importance of safeguarding and is committed to ensuring it manages a wide range of risks such that beneficiaries, staff, other associates and the organization as a whole are kept safe from harm.
AKFC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.