The Aga Khan Foundation’s Safeguarding Manual sets out AKF’s Safeguarding Policy and Code of Conduct and offers tools and resources to support the development and implementation of minimum standards of safeguarding, including protection from sexual abuse, exploitation and harassment (PSEAH).
AKF is committed to safeguarding, meaning it promotes respectful relations with and between all staff, partners, beneficiaries, and wider communities with whom it works, and takes all reasonable measures to prevent harm, including all forms of exploitation, abuse, bullying, harassment, and abuse of power that may arise from contact with staff, programs, or operations.
AKF’s work is based on the principles of international conventions and instruments, including the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child, Convention on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women, and the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. All people must be treated with dignity and respect. There is zero tolerance for sexual abuse, exploitation, harassment, neglect, or other misconduct by AKF staff, representatives, or partners.
Everyone connected with the organization knows how to keep children and adults safe and has appropriate learning opportunities to develop and maintain the necessary attitudes, skills and knowledge for this.
- Partners have measures to safeguard beneficiaries that are consistent with AKF’s standards.
- Children, adults and their families and caregivers understand AKF’s commitments to safeguarding and know what to do if concerns arise.
- AKF’s safeguarding beneficiaries’ commitments are integrated into existing organizational processes and systems and, where necessary, new procedures will be introduced.
- AKF has measures and mechanisms in place for monitoring and reviewing safeguarding beneficiaries’ measures and for both upward and downward accountability in relation to safeguarding.
- AKF will ensure a workplace culture built on respect, tolerance, diversity and inclusion that delivers a respectful environment for all staff.
- AKF will promote openness and transparency so that all staff are aware of AKF’s commitments to respectful workplaces, are clear on their responsibilities and feel able to raise questions or concerns and challenge and/or report actual/potential inappropriate or harmful conduct in the full knowledge that these will be taken seriously.
- AKF will ensure robust protection for anyone who wishes to raise a concern or make a complaint regarding harassment, sexual harassment or other workplace misconduct.
Code of Conduct
The Aga Khan Foundation’s Code of Conduct establishes the ethics and behaviour required of every individual associated with AKF, irrespective of hierarchy, status or position. It is designed to maintain a culture of best practice to ensure a strong safeguarding environment that is fundamental to AKF’s values. Everyone associated with AKF is expected to demonstrate the highest standards of honesty, integrity and professionalism.
The Code also establishes the basis for a reporting and protection mechanism designed to ensure the strict application of the described principles.