Duration: 6 months
Host Agency: Aga Khan Foundation, Afghanistan
Aga Khan Foundation Canada (AKFC) is an international development organization and registered charity. AKFC partners with communities, businesses, and governments to find innovative, lasting solutions to promote inclusive development. Working in Africa and Asia, the Foundation invests in local institutions and systems that anchor progress over the long term. In Canada, AKFC mobilizes funding and expertise, and promotes awareness of global issues. In all of our work, advancing gender equality, inclusion and pluralism are key objectives and approaches. AKFC is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network, one of the world’s most comprehensive development organizations. Since 1980, AKFC has helped millions of women and men to unlock their own potential to build a better life. Learn more at akfc.ca.
About AKF Afghanistan
The Aga Khan Foundation, Afghanistan (AKF) is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), a group of international, private, non-denominational development agencies working to improve living conditions and opportunities for people in some of the poorest parts of the developing world. The Network’s organizations have individual mandates that range from the fields of health and education to architecture, rural development and promotion of private-sector enterprise and institutions that seek to empower communities and individuals, usually in disadvantaged circumstances, to improve living conditions and opportunities.
The Gender Consultant is responsible for enhancing the capacity of Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) staff in areas of gender equality and women’s empowerment. The consultant’s primary responsibility is to support the Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment (GEWE) unit. This includes building a common understanding among the team on gender equality, inclusion and women’s empowerment, as well as developing training manuals, checklists and tools to help improve gender responsive and gender sensitive programming.
The Gender Consultant will work with AKF staff to build and strengthen the systems and process of the GEWE unit with the aim of implementing gender sensitive and gender responsive practices in internal and external programming across the AKF organization.
This position is a virtual consultancy providing remote support to AKF’s office in Kabul, Afghanistan. The consultant will report to the National Manager for Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment.
Staff Training & Capacity Building
- Conduct staff capacity needs assessment on gender equality and women’s empowerment, and design three-year training plan for staff
- Conduct training on top three topics identified as staff capacity needs related to gender equality and women’s empowerment
- Conduct training on gender sensitive and gender responsive planning and budgeting
- Organize gender and leadership training for GEWE team
- Provide suggestions for organizational changes to improve work of GEWE team
Training Manuals, Reports & Tools Development
- Develop training manual and toolkit on gender equality; gender mainstreaming; gender sensitive and gender responsive planning and budgeting
- Develop sector specific indicators and reference sheets for Health & nutrition, Education, Women’s social and economic empowerment and inclusion of women in agriculture sector
- Prepare sector specific monitoring tools and checklists from a gender lens
- Prepare high quality training materials, handouts, and training reports
Required Qualifications & Experience
We are looking for a candidate who has:
- Master’s degree in gender studies or a relevant field
- Knowledge of gender dynamics and complexities in Afghanistan
- At least seven years of field experience in a similar or relevant field
- Experience designing and facilitating multiple training events with proven ability to master the full training cycle
- Familiarity with traditional and modern training methods, tools, and techniques
- Experience developing manuals, tools and reports
- Expertise in gender equality and women’s empower with a focus on international development, including in program design, implementation, M&E, and gender responsive budgeting
- Knowledge of gender sensitive and gender equality targeted indicators and measurement, including gender sensitive monitoring and evaluation tools, methods and analysis
- Extensive knowledge of instructional design theory and learning principles
- Written and oral fluency in English
- Oral fluency in Dari/Farsi strongly preferred
Essential Skills & Attributes
- Sound decision making and organizational skills
- Ability to work and manage staff virtually
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to listen, follow directions, and provide constructive feedback
- Ability to multi-task and practice good time management
- Strong organizational skills
- Flexibility and openness to designing program based on staff capacity and needs
- Cultural sensitivity and ability to understand local context
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Positive attitude and ability to work collaboratively in a team
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply by clicking the link below.
Deadline: September 15, 2020 by 11:59pm EDT
Please note that due to the nature of funding for this position, the placement is only open to Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AKFC is committed to advancing gender equality and inclusion through our programming and operations in Canada and overseas. AKFC requires all employees to review and abide by the AKFC Gender Equality Policy.
AKFC recognizes the importance of safeguarding and is committed to ensuring it manages a wide range of risks such that beneficiaries, staff, other associates and the organization as a whole are kept safe from harm.
AKFC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.