Duration: 9 months
Host Agency: Aga Khan Agency for Habitat, India
Aga Khan Foundation Canada (AKFC) is an international development organization and registered charity. AKFC partners with communities, businesses, and governments to find innovative, lasting solutions to promote inclusive development. Working in Africa and Asia, the Foundation invests in local institutions and systems that anchor progress over the long term. In Canada, AKFC mobilizes funding and expertise, and promotes awareness of global issues. In all of our work, advancing gender equality, inclusion and pluralism are key objectives and approaches. AKFC is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network, one of the world’s most comprehensive development organizations. Since 1980, AKFC has helped millions of women and men to unlock their own potential to build a better life. Learn more at akfc.ca.
About AKAH India
The Aga Khan Agency for Habitat (AKAH) is committed to enhancing community safety from natural hazards and climate change, building community and institutional resiliency to respond effectively to disasters, facilitating improved community access to basic services and creating opportunities for sustainable livelihoods. To address the increasing threat posed by natural disasters and climate change, AKAH works to ensure that poor people live in physical settings that are as safe as possible from the effects of natural disasters; that residents who do live in high-risk areas are able to cope with disasters in terms of preparedness and response; and that these settings provide access to social and financial services that lead to greater opportunity and a better quality of life.
The Monitoring and Evaluation Consultant is responsible for reviewing the Aga Khan Agency for Habitat’s (AKAH) newly developed Strategic Results Framework (SRF) and providing technical support in the implementation of outcomes, outputs, and indicators for measuring progress against the strategy.
The consultant’s primary responsibility will be to build the capacity of AKAH India to monitor and measure progress of existing and newly developed projects against programmatic indicators. The consultant will work closely with both the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) and Program teams on projects related to safeguarding against climate change; building community and institutional resiliency against natural disasters; facilitating improved community access to basic services; and creating opportunities for sustainable livelihoods.
This position is a virtual consultancy providing remote support to AKAH’s office in Mumbai, India. The consultant will report directly to CEO of AKAH.
- Review existing documentation developed by AKAH’s head office and country units, including SRF, indicator reference sheets, monitoring and evaluation plans, and data source documentation
- Lead team members in understanding gender-sensitive data needs and sources for indicators outlined in SRF
- Provide technical support on the design of gender-sensitive data collection tools and methodologies
- Implement training and capacity building of local staff on best practices for collecting, storing and managing data, including gender-sensitive data
- Collaborate with Monitoring and Evaluation and Program staff to promote use of M&E best practices
- Promote culture of sharing M&E lessons learned across all AKAH country units
Required Qualifications & Experience
We are looking for a candidate who has:
- Post-secondary degree in social sciences, international development, statistics, or a related field; Advanced degree preferred
- At least 4-6 years of experience in leading M&E with international organizations
- Experience in results-based management
- Experience in capacity building and team facilitation
- Experience in conducting research
- Knowledge of gender sensitive M&E methods and approaches
- Experience with data management and ability to structure and collate data sets for analysis
- Knowledge of qualitative methods, data analysis, and effective presentation of qualitative information
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English; ability to work in local languages relevant to India an asset
Essential Skills & Attributes
- Ability to implement gender-sensitive M&E techniques and processes
- Extensive knowledge of research methodology, including skills in sampling techniques and statistical software
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills in a cross-cultural context
- Demonstrated understanding of intermediate statistics and ability to summarize and make predictions from multiple data sets
- Ability to manage qualitative data while not losing sight of the bigger picture and meaning
- Capacity to work independently and take initiative
- Excellent time-management skills and ability to meet strict reporting deadlines while managing multiple simultaneous responsibilities
- Ability to facilitate collaborative and participatory processes with partners and team members
- Willingness to learn and attention to cultural sensitivity
- Strong communication and active listening skills
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply by clicking the link below.
Deadline: September 15, 2020 by 11:59pm EDT
Please note that due to the nature of funding for this position, the placement is only open to Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AKFC is committed to advancing gender equality and inclusion through our programming and operations in Canada and overseas. AKFC requires all employees to review and abide by the AKFC Gender Equality Policy.
AKFC recognizes the importance of safeguarding and is committed to ensuring it manages a wide range of risks such that beneficiaries, staff, other associates and the organization as a whole are kept safe from harm.
AKFC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.