Duration: 9 months
Host Agency: Aga Khan Foundation, Tajikistan
Aga Khan Foundation Canada (AKFC) is an international development organization and registered charity. AKFC partners with communities, businesses, and governments to find innovative, lasting solutions to promote inclusive development. Working in Africa and Asia, the Foundation invests in local institutions and systems that anchor progress over the long term. In Canada, AKFC mobilizes funding and expertise, and promotes awareness of global issues. In all of our work, advancing gender equality, inclusion and pluralism are key objectives and approaches. AKFC is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network, one of the world’s most comprehensive development organizations. Since 1980, AKFC has helped millions of women and men to unlock their own potential to build a better life. Learn more at akfc.ca.
About AKF Tajikistan
The Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) began engagement in the Republic of Tajikistan in 1993, when it mounted a humanitarian response to acute food shortages in Gorno-Badakhshan Autonomous Oblast (GBAO), as a result of the collapse of the Soviet Union and subsequent civil war. The foundation’s high-quality interventions within agriculture and food security, economic inclusion, civil society, health and nutrition, early child development and education, are characterized by its hallmark long-term commitment and community-driven approach.
As the part of AKF’s commitment to the gender equality, a new Women in Leadership initiative has been recently launched. As part of this commitment, AKF Tajikistan aims at improving the imbalance of women in management positions.
The Gender and Partnerships Development Consultant is responsible for developing the Aga Khan Foundation’s (AKF) long-term partnerships capabilities and bringing partnerships functions in line with the national Women in Leadership initiative to improve the imbalance of women in management positions. The consultant’s primary responsibility will be to strengthen internal gender equality by equipping a female Partnership Officer with the tools and skills required for future leadership functions. The consultant will also work on bringing AKF’s partnership unit in line with national gender strategies and initiatives by establishing gender-sensitive organizational systems and procedures.
The Gender and Partnerships Development Consultant will work closely with AKF’s partnerships team, as well as female staff across AKF Tajikistan.
This position is a virtual consultancy providing remote support to AKF’s office in Dushanbe, Tajikistan. The consultant will report to the CEO of AKF Tajikistan.
- Mentor the national female Partnerships Officer on how to provide quality assurance of project progress reports and donor deliverables; examine project effectiveness; and identify identify appropriate responses to opportunities and challenges
- Coordinate and guide implementation of gender equality programming across multiple AKDN agencies
- Mentor Gender Focal Point on how to incorporate gender analysis into proposals, reports and studies; integrate gender equality into AKF’s strategic documents and tools, including staff recruitment and Gender Equality Marker (GEM) assessments; and incorporate gender equality considerations when carrying out due diligence processes for new financial and technical partners.
Communications & Outreach
- Mentor the national female Partnerships Officer in developing communications materials that articulate successes, outcomes and impacts
- Develop communications materials that are gender sensitive and demonstrate environmental sustainability, raising awareness of AKDN and Global Affairs Canada’s priority interests
- Identify new opportunities to grow the pipeline of projects contributing to AKF and AKDN goals in Tajikistan
Additional Training & Mentoring
- Provide on-the-job advice and mentoring when drafting concept notes, proposals and log frames with clear gender equality and environmental sustainability objectives
- Support the development of strategy papers, reporting and other by coordinating and consolidating inputs from relevant offices
Required Qualifications & Experience
We are looking for a candidate who has:
- Post-secondary degree required; degree in international development, political science, economics, media and communications or social sciences preferred
- Experience in coaching, leadership and team management with attention to developing transferrable skills
- Advanced management experience or ability to learn and gain experience quickly
- Fluency in oral and written English (Advanced, or CEFR C1 Level)
- Extensive knowledge of and experience with gender analysis and gender integration
- Experience developing communication materials
- Experience in report writing and concept note development or strategy
Essential Skills & Attributes
- Excellent multi-tasking and organizational skills
- Willingness to take initiative
- Resourceful and attentive to detail
- Excellent communication skills
- Flexibility corresponding and working with staff members in significantly different time zones
- Open-minded, patient, and creative
Interested applicants are encouraged to apply by clicking the link below.
Deadline: September 15, 2020 by 11:59pm EDT
Please note that due to the nature of funding for this position, the placement is only open to Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
AKFC is committed to advancing gender equality and inclusion through our programming and operations in Canada and overseas. AKFC requires all employees to review and abide by the AKFC Gender Equality Policy.
AKFC recognizes the importance of safeguarding and is committed to ensuring it manages a wide range of risks such that beneficiaries, staff, other associates and the organization as a whole are kept safe from harm.
AKFC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.